Late Shri Kushabhau Thakre 1998 to 2000
Childhood , Education & the Man
Shri. Kushabhau Thakre was born on August 15, 1922 in Dhar (Madhya Pradesh). He was educated at Dhar and Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. His father was Late Dr. Sundar Rao Shripati Rao Thakre and his mother was late Smt. Shantabhai Sundar Rao Thakre.
RSS & Jana Sangh
Shri. Kushabhau Thakre was associated with the RSS since 1942. He became Pracharak in 1942 at Neemunch (M.P.) and then moved to the Ratlam Division(Ratlam, Ujjain, Mandsaur, Jhabua, Chittaur, Kota, Bundi, Jhalawad, Banswada(Raj.), Dahod (Gujarat)).
His journey through the years in the Bhartiya Jana Sangh is listed below.
- 1956 : Secretary (Organisation) Madhya Pradesh since its inception.
- 1967 : All India Secretary Bharatiya Jana Sangh, Orissa and also additional in-charge of Gujarat.
- 1974 : All India Secretary (Organisation).
- 1977 : President Madhya Pradesh Janata Party.
- 1977 : Jailed for 19 months during Emergency.
- 1979 : Elected to Lok Sabha in a bye-election from Khandwa in Madhya Pradesh.
- 1980 : Was appointed All India Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party and in-charge of Gujarat, Orissa and Madhya Pradesh. Remained on this post upto 1984.
- 1984 to 1986 : All India Vice-President.
- 1986 to 1991 : All India General Secretary and in-charge of Madhya Pradesh.
- 1991 to 1993 : Vice-president and in-charge of Uttar Pradesh.
- 1993 : General Secretary (Organisation) and in-charge Madhya Pradesh up-to-date.
- 1998 to 2000 : President All India Bharatiya Janata Party.
- He died on December 28, 2003