Brief Points made by Shri Ananth Kumar, MP and General Secretary, BJP, during the Discussion on the Constitution (118th Amendment) Bill to introduce Article 371J in the Constitution of India according Special Status to the Hyderabad – Karnataka Region
- It is a great and historic day for the 6 crore people of Karnataka
- This great move has come after 56 years after the Vidharbha and Marathwada regions got their special status in 1956, and later Telangana got the special status in 1974.
- There was large scale agitation in this area historically as this region is one of the most backward areas in the country
- The Dr. D M Nanjundappa Committee set up by the Government of Karnataka went into the backwardness of the area and recommended that special status be given for the development of the area.
- We thank the Government of India and this August House for delivering this long pending justice to the people of this area.
- The Hon. CM of Karnataka, Shri JagadishShettar along with all the MPs of the state met the Hon. Home Minister and impressed upon him the need to bring this legislation for the consideration of the Parliament.
- Both Houses of the Karnataka Legislature had unanimously passed resolutions urging the Union Government to pass the necessary legislation at the earliest
- I urge the whole House to support this Bill and ensure this is passed unanimously